Clips

I agree with the policy of Youtube. Thank you so much for the beautiful clips on the web. Thank you Bellecourse for your wonderful clips delayed. We could enjoy together and meet young vivid Nana, even Nana on the stage of the British Concert 1974! In this site, we use clips only for private use, not for comercial. Sachi

8/02/2008

Nana topics from ejazznews.com

NA-NA- NA-NA- NA-NA NANA

Nana Mouskouri has bid adieu to a half-century in music with a farewell concert in her native Greece at the foot of the Acropolis in Athens.

Fans filled the ancient Odeon of Herodes Atticus on July 23, 2008 to hear the 73-year-old songstress. Hours earlier, the city of Athens bestowed its gold medal on Mouskouri, who has been on a worldwide farewell tour since she announced her plans to retire three years ago.

One of the grand dames of international music, the bespectacled performer sold more than 300 million recordings during her career.

As well, I met my wife, music publicist and radio tracker Anya Wilson when she worked with Mouskouri in the mid ‘80s.

For decades, Mouskouri was managed by Montreal impresario Sam Gesser who passed away earlier this year.

During a nostalgic tribute, held a few months ago in the Cinquième Salle of Montreal’s Place des Arts where Gesser had an office for many years, Mouskouri, in a video, recalled her 45-year association with Gesser, whom she credited with being largely responsible for what she achieved.

She recalled that in the ’60s she had been advised not to perform a Quebec song because it was too political. “Sam told me, ‘Listen only to your heart and instincts,’ and I did. So began a great relationship with Canada and, of course, Sam…

“He showed me the treasures of Canada,” she said, introducing her to both Anglophone and francophone singers.

Mouskouri has a huge following in Quebec and had mentioned a poignant moment in the province when first discussing her decision to retire.

"I still remember, the saddest thing that I really felt in my life is when (opera legend) Maria Callas died, and I remember I was in Montreal," she said. "I was going to do a talk show on the radio and just before I go in, they tell me outside, 'Nana, not to be surprised, something terrible happened and they may ask you about that,' and I was so sad when I heard it."

What bothered her so much, Mouskouri said, was that Callas had continued singing publicly despite failing vocal abilities.

"She didn't finish as she should have finished, for me," Mouskouri said.” Her life was very close to me and I wouldn't like to have a problem like this."


Read more

No comments: