Clips

I agree with the policy of Youtube. Thank you so much for the beautiful clips on the web. Thank you Bellecourse for your wonderful clips delayed. We could enjoy together and meet young vivid Nana, even Nana on the stage of the British Concert 1974! In this site, we use clips only for private use, not for comercial. Sachi

10/26/2007

Nana News from icwales.icnetwork.co.uk

Goodbye Nana
Oct 10 2007 by Our Correspondent, South Wales Echo
GOWNED and bespectacled, Nana Mouskouri is instantly recognisable, and has been for more than 40 years.
In fact, she made her first record 50 years ago and has been touring pretty much constantly since 1960.
However, as she approaches her mid-70s, she has decided to retire from touring; but not before she has said “Goodbye and thank you” to her fans in the form of a Farewell World Tour.
“I’m not actually retiring from singing – if people still want me to sing I will – I’m just retiring from touring,” she said.
“It is logical for me to retire, you see I’ve served music a lot and I hope I have done some nice things, but the world belongs to the young people.
“I cannot be a surprise anymore and it’s hard to find (new) music that I like to sing.
“Also,” she adds, “I wanted to quit while I was still healthy.”
It is fitting that Mouskouri will end her career at the top.
Born in Crete in 1934, she moved with her family to Athens where she was recognised at the prestigious Athens Conservatoire as a unique voice; instead of her vocal chords being of equal size, one is thicker than the other.
She spent eight years at the Conservatoire studying classical music with a career in opera in mind but began experimenting with jazz and eventually was expelled.
Nana’s new habit of singing in jazz clubs led to a meeting with Greek composer Manos Hadjidakis and they struck up a fruitful partnership that won the Greek Song Festival two years running.
From then on there was no looking back. In 1961 Nana recorded her most famous song, The White Rose of Athens and her multi-cultural appeal – she speaks seven languages – saw her become the most successful female singer in history.
She has recorded 450 albums and her 350 million-plus album sales surpasses The Beatles and Elvis combined, with more than 300 gold, platinum and diamond discs.
“I never thought I’d do so much in my life,” she reflected. “
My life has been wonderful. I’ve seen the world, I’ve worked with so many great artists like Quincy Jones and Harry Belafonte.
“But most of all,” she pauses, “I’ve been so lucky to have been loved by so many people. The audiences who come to my shows have always shown me so much love.”
So onto the final tour. The evening begins with a short film about Mouskouri’s career – her autobiography is also due – before she arrives with a seven-piece band to perform pop, classical and jazz songs.
And the tour has been going some while now.
“Yes, it started in 2005 and will end next year in 2008.
“You have to take time to do the whole world and I want to take the opportunity to say to my fans ‘Thank you for listening to me for so many years’.
“After 47 years it won’t be easy.
“You can never leave music if you love it, but now I’ll have more time to listen.”
Nana Mouskouri’s Farewell Tour arrives at St David’s Hall, Cardiff, on Thursday, October 25. Tickets cost £27.50-£30 from 029 2084 4444.

No comments: